Thursday 26 July 2007

Post traumatic squirrel

"How are things?" I ask Vicky.

"Fine," she says. "Apart from the kitchen."

"It's not rats again, is it?"

"They weren't rats," she says firmly."They were squirrels. Quite definitely."

"I thought I heard you mention hairless tails."

"Probably squirrels with stress-related baldness," she says. "It's all that moving home."

I'm still not convinced.

"Just think what it's like for little furry squirrels, breaking into somebody else's kitchen, always worrying that the enticing-looking crumb isn't leftover Christmas cake but warfarin. It all gets too much and one day - bouf - no tail fur. Anyway, that's not the problem," she adds, hurridly.

It turns out that her elderly washing machine has become incontinent. It can no longer be bothered to use the drain but, unknown to her, has taken to relieving itself down behind the kitchen units, which are beginning to smell distinctly cheesy.

Dave the manic decorator is coming to have a look at it. He arrives minus a toolkit but wielding a large axe.

"You've caught me on a manic day," he says. "Lucky you." He hefts the axe from hand to hand as he speaks. "I think you've got a blocked drain."

"And the axe?"

"It'll be vegetation growing straight into it. It's all that rain. The plants are going wild. It's like the Triffids out there. I had to fight off two of my own giant marrows before I'd got five feet into the garden this morning. Good thing I had my axe."

Vicky lets him into the garden and gets on with a little light squirrel spotting to pass the time.

Ten minutes later, there's a gigantic crash and the sight of a mass of green falling from the sky. Vicky rushes outside. Dave is standing proudly atop a pile of leaves.

"Got the bugger," he says, proudly.

"That was my wisteria," says Vicky. "I was training it up the house."

"You'd never have trained that," says Dave. "Not in a year of obedience classes. I saw the look in its face. It was heading straight for your drain."

"Well, it hadn't got there yet," says Vicky. "Have you actually looked at the drain yet?"

"Not as such," says Dave. Together, they investigate. After a while, they haul up something sodden and furry. It turns out to be a very, very dead rat. Or a squirrel, so traumatised by its lack of tail fur that it's drowned itself.

10 comments:

I Beatrice said...

Why do you let him within a mile of your house, that's what I want to know? I wouldn't let him near my squirrels, never mind about my wisteria! I can only guess that you have a kind of all-encompassing death wish, that incorporates all God's creatures, green or furless brown alike.

Come to that though ... my own little bevy of squirrels, formerly the bane of my life, has suddenly disappeared without trace. Does Dave drive a little red Trotter-type mini-van with several ladders and a chainsaw on top, by any chance?

Omega Mum said...

IB: I won't let him anywhere near my house. Vicky insists on using him - I'm convinced she's his only customer. I have to say that, having seen the results, he has done some good decoration but I'd rather settle for something less scary and slightly more inefficient.

The Good Woman said...

May I suggest planting the wisteria cutting with the rat/tailess squirrel - circle of life and all that....

Omega Mum said...

the good woman: what a lovely idea. Brought a tear to my eye. I'll text Vicky post haste.

Anonymous said...

I want my very own Mad Dave. Does he do hollyhocks, by any chance?

Omega Mum said...

Orchidea: I believe Dave will'do' anything. It's just a question of how he does it.....But I'll gladly pass your details on via Vicky.

Rob Clack said...

If he didn't actually prune the poor wisteria right back to ground level it might regrow. Vicky should leave the stump for a bit and see. If it does regrow, it will do so quickly, as it will have a big, well-established root system. Fingers crossed!

Shame the squirrels have gone. They do taste delicious!

Omega Mum said...

Rob: Ta for the advice. I think he had a fairly comprehensive axe moment but I'll tell Vicky not to give up hope.

Motheratlarge said...

Very amusing. Did you see a posting a while back at Keir Royale, in which Beta Mum was joking about baldness in digital photos being the result of 'pixellation problems'. Actually writing that, it feels strange mentioning someone else's blog. Beta Mum, if you're reading this, I hope you don't mind!
But do you think that 'pixellation problems' might be what affected the squirrels?
Perhaps the hairdresser could have done something to help the poor fellow. Too late now, I suppose.

Omega Mum said...

M@L: I did read and enjoy the pixellation problems and felt it was an all purpose excuse that everyone should use. Sorry, Beta Mum......Hairdresser a good idea, too.