Tuesday 3 July 2007

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

1. A friend has elderly, increasingly vague parents. Her mother has had a fall and her leg is in plaster. She, and my friend's father, can't remember why:

'In the evenings, when they're getting ready for bed, Mum will say, "This is so uncomfortable, when am I going to get rid of it?" and Dad will say, "Where did that plaster come from." Then he'll get scissors and hack from the bottom end. Fortunately he never gets very far. So I wrote on the plaster, ‘fractured kneecap’ with arrows in both directions so Dad would know how serious it was and Mum would remember. Then I hid the scissors. Last night, the carer found Dad walking down the hall with a large carving knife and asked him what wanted it for. He said: "I can’t find any scissors. I’m going to cut off the plaster on Jean’s leg." Now we'll have to hide all the knives, too.

2. Message from woman with troubled marriage:

'I ask if OK when I'm cheerily cooking family supper. He says yes fine, thank you. I am very happily engrossed in my Times crossword. He is odd and I'm not. Should I leave the mismatchoddbod? Dare I? Do the fk I!? I daren't. Fkit.

3. Reading buddies
Deborah, 7, to me: Mum? What if you fall in love with your reading buddy?
Me: I should enjoy it
Deb: I never know his name.
Me; What if you ask him?
Deb: He just says it too quietly. At first I thought his name was Duncan, but I think he said, 'Lincoln'. I'll just forget it again and again.
Me: What's he like?
Deb: He has ginger hair and small eyes and freckles and he's sweet. But how can I think he's sweet if he's in Year 5 and I'm in Year 2? And he'll always be three years older than me. When I'm 8, he'll be 11. When I'm 11, he'll be 14. When I'm 12, he'll be (pause) 17?
Me (I can spot a soft learning opportunity when I see one) Think of your three times table
Deb: 19?
(Pause)
Deb: I'm not going on a date when I'm 7. But I might.........I might.

11 comments:

Stay at home dad said...

No. 2 should get out more.
No. 3 should stay in.
No. 1 breaks my heart.

Omega Mum said...

SAHD: What a lovely comment

beta mum said...

My gran had Alzheimer's.
When the nurse was visiting her, she helped bury her cat in the garden. Then the nurse rang to tell me about it, in case my gran was upset.
I said,
"What cat?"
They'd buried someone else's dead cat.

Anonymous said...

Seems like they still like each other and are still married -so thats a plus.

When you are my age a few years doesn't seem very long..

debio said...

The ways of love are countless, and rarely easy.

Such a thought-provoking piece, omega mum. Quite brilliant.

SAHD's comment right 'on the money'.

Omega Mum said...

Beta Mum: Pathos and humour - it's wonderful.

Mutley: The thought of either one being without the other is very troubling.

Debio: Glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

There have now been (I think) two messages from Woman with Troubled Marriage (on this one and Springwatch)if this is you OM then I hope you are OK

Omega Mum said...

Thanks for your concern, Wimbledon, but promise 100% that it isn't me. Otherwise I think life would be (almost) unbearable.

lady macleod said...

1 & 3: the sight of love riding on memories forgotten and the sight of love just over the horizon.

2: yes, what SAHD said

Omega Mum said...

Lady M: Nicely put. Thanks

dulwichmum said...

I loved number one, I can so see that situation happening. Beautifully put, lovely post.