Tuesday 10 July 2007

Parallel lies

Francis receives his formal job offer by e-mail. His potential employers want him to start straight away. He doesn't. "I'm going to say that I'm on four to six week's notice. Then I can keep looking round for a bit."

There I was, thinking I'd got the hang of employment basics which I had pegged as follows:

Get job. Go into office.
Lose job. Stop going into office.

According to these simple definitions, Francis is now employer, job and notice period free. Yet he's managed to overturn the established order by losing his job while simultaneously still managing to be at work.

I ask him how he's managing to juggle a duel existence in a parallel universe when I'm struggling to keep just the one life ticking along.

He invites me to look at his e-mail address. After over a decade of marriage, you take your pleasures where you can, so I go off for a good stare. Its properties (which in this case must be supernatural ones) state, categorically, that instead of being francis@redundancynightmare.co.uk he's emphatically still francis@oldemployer.com

"It's still on their server," he says, proudly.

It turns out that all the nicer headhunters know he's left, while the nasty ones think he's still there. "Of course, it can be tricky remembering who knows what," he says.

Then, adding significantly to my sense of confusion, he heads off back to the old company for yet another farewell lunch.

20 comments:

The Good Woman said...

What a tangled web he weaves, when Francis practises to deceive. A very high risk strategy I'd call this in business parlance - the truth will out! Although the bonus break before taking employment must be very enticing...

Omega Mum said...

Well, fingers crossed, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Why doesn't he apply to be an MP? Don't they have a reputation of this sort?

Gwen said...

I hope he still manages to get the job. Maybe playing hard to get is a good strategy. Fingers crossed.

Omega Mum said...

CJ:I don't think it's something he likes doing. So which party do you think he should stand for?

Gwen: Thanks so much.

Alda said...

He invites me to look at his e-mail address. After over a decade of marriage, you take your pleasures where you can

LOL!

Why doesn't Francis just join the circus? As a juggler?

Motheratlarge said...

Still hoping this could be the tide turning for you. Sure I don't need to tell you, of all people, this but let's face it, redundancy is a nightmare and these days happens to lots of perfectly nice people who work hard and do a good job. We had to relocate a couple of months before getting married after same happened to my husband, through no fault of his, and he got new work in different city.

Separate issue: do all men have a fixation with email properties?

lady macleod said...

Really with this kind of experience I think he should take his CV over to MI6, and fax one off to the Americans as well - best go with the CIA, the other guys really mean business, but I think the CIA could really get behind the email trick and lunch...

I Beatrice said...

A virtual job seems the answer here. That way, he can keep his old email address whilst adopting a new one; can balance headhunters against the demands of virtual employers - and still keep all job options open.

At least I THINK that's what I mean - though I expect to see the White Rabbit pop out at any moment, it has to be said....

Anonymous said...

Hmm, tough one. Maybe Bad Lindy could start her own. I'm sure it would be an improvement on the rabble we have currently been landed with.

Stay at home dad said...

One of my ex colleagues was made redundant and just kept turning up for work every morning. At first noone had the heart to remonstrate; eventually though someone had to have a word.

Omega Mum said...

alda: And I could sing bitter sweet songs like 'Bring on the clowns...' Shame I can't sing, really.

M@L Tide turning, yes, as long as not a tsunami. Yes, I think they love properties and find them endlessly fascinating

Lady M: As long as he doesn't start using different e-mail addresses for each secret service. Like the idea, though...

IB: Virtual job is good. It's just the virtual money that goes with it that would be our problem....

CJ: Bad Lindy would certainly enjoy all those cabinet reshuffles.

SAHD: That's tragic. What happened to him? I know your blog is much more about family, but would love more about this.....

Stay at home dad said...

He was removed from the premises.

A few years later I ran into him again. He worked on a higher level than me in the same building (if you see what I mean). The years had not been kind; he was one of those nervy types who have a fag between their lips in the lift and the lighter poised.

Omega Mum said...

SAHD: Poor devil. But do you think he really had a job or was he haunting the place, moving from floor to floor, P45 the only thing in his jacket pocket, apart from the fags?

Gwen said...

SAHD

That's such a sad story.

Stay at home dad said...

I'd heard about that sort of thing Gwen, but never seen it.

You could be right OM. He was pacing up and down in the lift, a very difficult discipline to master.

Brillig said...

Wow. I love the title of this post. Sigh. Well, good luck to him in his duality. I really hope something incredible works out for your family.

Omega Mum said...

Brillig: I love it as well. Sadly, it came so quickly that I suspect that somebody loved it earlier than me and I copied it. Might be wrong, I suppose. Thanks for good wishes.

DJ Kirkby said...

He is a clever man!

Omega Mum said...

DJ: Sometimes I worry that he's so brilliantly devious, given that I'm married to him......How many other lives could he have?