Sunday 8 July 2007

Music and the food of love

They say you should never judge on appearances.

That's not always true. In the case of Bad Lindy, for example, flight or fight options should be coursing through your mind within nanoseconds. And, for men, the price for failure is high. Hang about for more than a few seconds and she'll have brought in her own verdict and have you in the armlock of death.

Today, though, is a different matter.

I'm at a school picnic. There's the usual cast of characters. A large dog that careers through the food, trailing its lead and saliva through the ham sandwiches. "It's a pointer," says the owner, tracking its progress with slight dismay but greater pride. "It's supposed to range. But it keeps on coming back. Scott! Scott!"

There are the boys, friends and strangers, who find a ball from somewhere, make goalposts from branches and have no need of further introduction. The girls, who perch on surrounding fallen tree trunks, giggling and eying the boys, and occasionally making forays into the middle of the match and returning with trophies -football boots, sunhats.

I talk to one of the mothers. She is in her thirties, beautifully dressed and self-assured, a pianist with qualifications up to her well-shaped eyebrows who is almost as adept at the violin.

The first thing I notice is that she finds it hard to look directly at me. Either I've done something so unusually dazzling with my makeup that I have the aura of a divine being, or, more likely, recreated the authentic Medusa effect (there's nothing you can't do with a good selection of Clarins and a couple of pythons, my dear). Or she's not quite self-assured as she looks.

First she talks about her work. She's clearly a first-rate performer and teacher capable of inspiring even the least promising, who has seen her most elderly pupil - a widow in her 80s - through the loss of her husband, several fingernails, and the acquisition of considerable amounts of facial hair. "She says it's only my teaching that gets her through," she says, shuddering slightly.

Then she talks about growing up with her three solid meals a day parents who couldn't play a note but were determined that their daughter would swallow their dreams with her beef and roast potatoes, and steamed pudding and custard for afters. As the plate emptied, the time for practising came closer and with the last mouthful came the order to open the piano lid and get out the music.

They sacrificed everything for her, they told her. Now, as they wished, she makes her living from her music.

"Every time I get a cheque," she says, "I think it should have my father's name on it. And I have never enjoyed playing the piano. I don't even see myself as a musician."

She's marking time, the most accomplished non-musician in the music business, playing her heart out because that's what she's trained to do. Her father is 82. "When he dies," she says, "Then....then, I'm going move on. I don't know where. But it won't always be like this." And this time, she looks directly at me.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

God I can relate to this. On a more modest scale, of course, and my parents were too embroiled in their own dramas to push me into any specific career.

I was neither as accomplished at what I did (translating) nor, undoubtedly, as well dressed, but the day I realised the way I earned my pennies bored me to f*cking death was one of life's major revelations.

Omega Mum said...

Orchidea: You realised, though, didn't you? But she seems to be living in a sort of prison - yet has the keys to get out, if that doesn't sound a mite pretentious.

Anonymous said...

No, not pretentious at all, just self-aware. I had an escape route in the shape of M (oh heck - this is all about money again :O) and I still do the odd job; they pay for my knickers, including the Snoopy hipsters.

If there's a lesson to be learned it's to treat parents who are convinced little Johnny is destined to be a lawyer/neuro-surgeon/child prodigy by the age of six (and blather on about it, profusely) with utter contempt.

Anonymous said...

Oops. Yours is the self-awareness! How inattentive of me and I can't even plead tipsy-ness.

I Beatrice said...

Oh my, what a surprise that must have been to you!

I guess there's an awful lot of boredom and sheer hard grind about being a performing musician, mind you..... And also, unless they're top-flight soloists, the pay isn't all that good either.

But it makes you wonder what it is she really wants to do, doesn't it?

dulwichmum said...

I must bear this in mind each time I try to prime my four year old baby girl for a career in medicine. Bad mummy. She wants to work in Tesco...

Omega Mum said...

Orchidea: I don't think we should apologise for the necessity of money.. especially if it keeps you in lingerie (if Snoopy hipsters merit the name....)

IB: You never know if you're the only one getting the total story or if she's at the point in her life where any audience will do - but it was a bit startling, yes.

DM: But you won't keep telling her that you've sacrificed your life for her (unless you let her practise cosmetic surgery on you)

The Good Woman said...

Puts a whole new spin ont that old 'when I grow up' line doesn't it?

Omega Mum said...

The good woman: It does, rather. Especially working out when, exactly, it happens.

Gwen said...

Although in a way it is quite sad that all her hard work learning and becoming proficient at the instrument will go to waste, but certainly you should never do something just becasue your parents want you to do it. I was never forced to do anything (except study hard) and I eventually found a job I love. It did take some time but now I have it I wouldn't change it.

Omega Mum said...

Gwen: The key thing is that you weren't forced to go in a particular direction (apart from doing the hard work to get there). I think she feels she had no choice at all - which is what makes it so sad.

lady macleod said...

That's heart shattering. What can you say to someone who has done that to her life? too sad. I doubt the death of her father will set her free, only she can do that don't you think?

Omega Mum said...

Lady M: You're right - she needs to be the one to change, but the removal of a controlling father hanging over her life may help. Or maybe she won't be able to do it.

I Beatrice said...

It occurs to me too, OM, that my own nursing career was probably a serious mistake. But I had said "I'm going to be a nurse when I grow up" so often throughout my childhood, that when the time came, I hardly saw how I could do anything else.

I stuck it out - but it cost me dear I think. And it was my daughter who later did (all off her own bat) what I should all along have done, which was to read for a Classics degree at Cambridge.

How I'd have loved to be able to read Homer in the original - and have more than just a nodding acquaintance with Latin!

Now though, late in life, I'm doing the thing I love most of all - just writing!

The moral being I suppose, that it's never quite too late. (It only feels like it sometimes.)

Omega Mum said...

IB: Riveting - would love to hear more. I don't suppose one of your characters might acquire a nursing background and dreams of Homer? Incidentally - and I don't know where you are with Latin - the National Archives has a very good Latin for beginners on-line tutorial which I have started about ten times but mean to complete this summer. (Oh, yeah...)

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Well, here's something I'll think about whenever I chastise my daughter about not practising enough.

Motheratlarge said...

Moving posting, Omega Mum. My father had similar musical aspirations for me - but a combination of personal ineptitude and a bad-tempered piano teacher, who used to bang the side of the instrument whenever I played a wrong note, delivered me into another career.

debio said...

Yet another opportunity for parental introspection....so many opportunities to make mistakes.

How sad for this lady.

When my daughter next says, 'I want to be a hairdresser', I shall be oh so enthusiastic and promise to get her in with a 'nice' salon in Belgravia.

Oops, perhaps I'm missing the point! Pushy parent, moi?

Omega Mum said...

M@L: But your father obviously let his aspirations go. And you seem to have done very nicely...

Debio: I don't believe you're anything like this poor woman's parents. Far too nice and self-aware.

Anonymous said...

Doomed to a life of other peoples dreams, how sad.

I was just happy that my kids didn't do drugs. I re-assessed that a while ago to I'm glad my kids didn't do hard drugs.

As a parent I think you have done a reasonable job if they don't end up in prison and they earn a living and try to be good citizens.

Kev

Omega Mum said...

Kev: Hear, hear.

Alda said...

A excellent psychological study in four paragraphs. What a keen eye you have!

Omega Mum said...

alda: Thanks so much. Though I find travelling with a notebook and being insatiably curious helps, too.

Alda said...

Ah. Were you scribbling hard when she told you all this, then?

Catherine said...

You do have a gift for observation OM. How sad for her that she is living someone else's dreams.

I spent 6 years having weekly piano lessons because my mother always regretted giving it up when she was young. I had neither talent nor inclination. Eventually everyone agreed that it was a waste of time and money.

In the end, the moral of the story is that parents never get it right and good enough has to be enough, I think

Omega Mum said...

Alda: Wrote down one thing about food while she was there but had to remember the rest - would have looked a tad unsympathetic.

Marianne: Thank you. In your case, the world may have lost a concert pianist but gained a well-balanced person instead. A good deal, I reckon.