Saturday 7 July 2007

Below the belt

There’s a time and a place to catch up with your friends. Standing in line at the local chemists to buy threadworm pills, though, isn’t one of them.

Vicky and her children are midway up the queue of prescription-clutching oldsters when Bad Lindy pushes the door open.

"Blimey. It's the statin set on their day out. Mind if I join you?" she says, barging her way in next to Vicky, a tube of toothpaste in her hand. "What are you doing here, anyway? And what's with the dark glasses."

Vicky mouths something. "What?" says Bad Lindy. "I'll text you," hisses Vicky, tapping away on her phone. "There. Should show up any minute."

Bad Lindy reads the message. "Yuck! Threadworm" she says. "No wonder you didn't want to say it out loud."

By this time, the cholesterol queens are all turning round for a good peer at the parasite-ridden family in their midst. Vicky keeps smiling until she gets to the front of the queue.

“HELLO! HELLO!” says the cheery pharmacist, speaking entirely in block capitals and exclamation marks. “WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU?”

“I need a family pack of threadworm tablets,” whispers Vicky.

It's at this point that an elderly woman, just behind, senses that this is a golden opportunity for a no holds barred public forum about public health.

“Threadworm pills?” she calls. “Have you got worms, then?”

The queue falls silent. Vicky's children try to climb into their sunhats so they can curl up quietly and die of mortification. People looked at Vicky, then away again.

“Well………” says Vicky, desperately.

“How did you get them, then? You’re very brown, have you been abroad? I expect you got them there.”

Temporarily satisfied, she relapses into silence until Vicky is about to leave the shop, clutching her pills, when she fires her parting shot:

“Did you get fleas as well, while you were away?”

"You know what, Vicky," says Bad Lindy, as they leave the chemist's. "You really should learn to be a bit more discreet. You don't want everyone knowing about your threadworm."

"Threadworm?," says the postman, who's just passing. "You need to nip into the chemist and get some pills. It's just behind you."

Vicky darts a look of hatred at him and Bad Lindy and rushes off with her children.

"Only trying to help," says the postman.

Bad Lindy lays a consoling hand on his arm. "And I'm sure you're very, very good at it..........." she says.

15 comments:

Alex. said...

Haha.

The Good Woman said...

Chuckling away, I am. As usual. I really am so grateful that she's YOUR Bad Lindy, not mine. And that you blog about her.

Omega Mum said...

Plixx/the good woman: Glad you liked it. I'm sure she'd be available on loan.....

Anonymous said...

Great laugh! Don't tell, but I buy worm medicine regularly for us all, oh and have cream for ringworm. It's livin' on a farm that does it you see.

Gwen said...

If I had been Vicky and seen Bad Lindy approaching I would have given up on getting the threadworm pills and run a mile.

Unknown said...

Oh gosh... how awful! ha ha

Mya said...

This is my first visit. I've been having a great time reading all this. I'll be back.

Mya x

lady macleod said...

Vicky, want to borrow my Glock?

DJ Kirkby said...

Oh.My Gawd. I cringed reading this...I hope I never have a Bad Lindy!

I Beatrice said...

Headlice don't make for a good queue-at-the-chemist spot of eavesdropping either, OM. And nor does ringworm...

But to have got the postman involved too - well, that's REALLY pushing it!

I too am glad she's your Bad Lindy, not mine.

Omega Mum said...

CJ: Your secret is safe in cyberspace

gwen: according to Vicky, immediate action was necessary. I didn't ask for more information

snuffles: Yes, indeed.

Mya: glad you liked it.

Lady M: I've lent her my revolver. If it seizes up, I'm sure she'd be glad of the loan. Customs might be a problem, I suppose.

DJ: I hope so, too. Where did you say you lived?

IB: Funnily enough, headlice are discussed quite openly round here - the stigma seems to have gone. Threadworm have some way to go (not in a literal sense, you understand).

debio said...

Oh Goodness - but I had to laugh!

Think we all know a Bad Lindy though, don't we?

Anonymous said...

Bloody worms - Hannah seems to invite the buggers regularly.
The first time she got them I took her to casualty she was shrieking so much and so loudly.
Now I keep a supply of medicine, bought cheaply in France when she last had them, after some interesting hand gestures to show the pharmacist what I wanted.

Omega Mum said...

Debio: I'm pretty sure the government issues Bad Lindys to keep our mind off their tax regime

Beta Mum: I would love to have seen those hand gestures....

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

lol!

They used to put tapeworm eggs in Victoran slimming powders ..