Monday 2 July 2007

Mind over matter

There are times when I am convinced that, not only does my body takes second place to my mind, but it resents the unequal partnership.

My brain gets daydreaming and Higher Things: my body gets lumbered with the routine, low grade, day to day stuff, with just a small part of the brain stem nagging it on: "Keep the lungs going. And how many times do I have to tell you - you can't do the lungs and just forget about the heart. And look - that liver's got a lot on its plate. Keep that bile production up. And, no, you can't be excused intestine duty."

Then it's doors to manual once something exciting starts to happen and the bigger, grander brain bits step in to take control.

"Sharp corner! Brake! Brake! No - we need full consciousness here, thanks very much."
or
"Foreplay ahead. I'll take over here, thanks very much. Just remember, the way to a woman's satisfaction is via the brain. No, you can't start without me."

But, for the most part, I feel as if most of my brain is spending its entire time on autopilot, using what we're told is an almost infinite capacity for thought, conjecture and originality to ponder such deep, earth-shattering issues as:

Did that shirt really look better in pink?

If I go to the post office now, will I have time to do the shopping as well?

Where did I put the name tapes?

It all works pretty well until you hand over too much control and your body takes full advantage.

Which is why I spend days trailing myself, like an inadequate detective, wondering what my body has been up to while my brain was otherwise occupied. It can strike at any time. I start thinking about Leo, for example, and my body promptly sets off to mystery locations at a great rate. What makes it worse is its lack of judgement when it comes to quality destinations.

Finding myself in Paris wouldn't be so bad, but it never is Paris. My body is much keener on treks to front door or the boot of the car. The airing cupboard is another favourite choice, giving me the opportunity to survey the immersion heater in minute detail while wondering a) how I got there b) what I'm doing there and c) how much longer it's going to take to find out, until my synapses return from lunch break and start the afternoon shift.

Agatha Christie's detective Hercule Poirot made much of his little grey brain cells. I bet he didn't have to count them all out and back again before he was able to put them to use.

13 comments:

lady macleod said...

Oh mercy give me air! Too funny. I just bet it is a real Asian car park inside that head of yours.

Omega Mum said...

Lady M: Increasingly I think it's a large arid and mainly deserted area requiring irrigation/colonisation.

Anonymous said...

This is fab! Lucy Jordan sans the climbing on roofs when the laughter gets too loud.

As for me, the shirt never looks better in pink.

My synapses are unionised, btw.

Anonymous said...

What's a brain?

Motheratlarge said...

Out of body experiences, ah well. Sometimes I think my name is The Bean (daughter) or I call my husband The Bean. I forget entire conversations my husband swears took place. I put tea bags in the fridge, and full bottles of juice in the rubbish bin. I have never, once, however, felt the urge to inspect the immersion heater. Marriages are only so strong. That is my husband's domain, and even if he forgives my day-dreaming he might get huffy if I invaded the heater cupboard.

I Beatrice said...

Ah, but it's only when you have to leave the airing cupboard and return to the fridge ( or whatever place it was you started out from).... to see what it was that you went there for in the first place - only then should you really start to worry!

I find myself standing meaninglessly in the vicinity of the airing cupboard - or the fridge, or the cutlery drawer - with increasing frequency these days.

Omega Mum said...

CJ: A what?

M@L: The immersion heater is a worry. At least it's not the manifold.

IB: Sounds like you can remember your starting point - which is my other problem.

Kelly Innes said...

I though it was normal to put laundry in the fridge and milk in the airing cupboard!!!!

Omega Mum said...

Kelly: It is!

debio said...

You have blown my numb mind with this one, omega mum. The laughter has certainly shaken off some of the rust!

Omega Mum said...

Debio: Alcohol is also a great lubricant (though clearly not working in my case).

Stay at home dad said...

I think even my daughter has more interesting converstions than I do, nowadays. Next stage is talking only about utilities. I must get out more.

Drunk Mummy said...

Wow Omega Mum - you use alcohol as a lubricant? Seems a pity to waste it, though!
Great post - can identify fully with the mind/body dualism!