Sunday 1 July 2007

Moderate support

So far, Francis has met fifteen headhunters and ten prospective employers. In adddition to Mr Tosser, he's been turned down by two companies for being over-qualified; one vinyl flooring company for being under-excited, and by Posh Headhunter for not having enough hair - at least, in the right places.

This week, he's going back to see the merging companies which are now so involved with each other that they're almost ready to consummate the relationship with a candlelit announcement for two and a short but moving exchange of ringtones by the chairmen. But, like dippy lovers everywhere, the sheer excitement of the thing - should the new logo feature both the bride and groom's names? - is making them horribly indecisive, especially about the sort of employee they should be hiring together. Senior....or not? Experienced ..... or not? Oooh, it's so difficult to choose, they giggle.

While they mull over the candidates like a box of assorted chocolates, Francis' nerves are a little strained. I try to keep my questions light but supportive, wondering just when it was that a sports bra became the best role model available to me.

"So, what's the toughest question you've been asked so far?" I say.

"This one," says Francis.

Forget sports bras. I think we may be talking hernia trusses.

I know how to please my man. In a matter of seconds, I have transformed myself into a miracle of erotic desire and he has forgotten all his troubles, at least during the sultry half hour we spend together.

As if. This is mid-afternoon weekend reality with three children and two pets, all of whom see the remotest sign of tenderness as a challenge to their attention-seeking abilities that must not go unanswered. And the only way I'm going to achieve transformation into an erotic anything is with a blowtorch and a large crate of miracle filler.

Instead, the phone rings with a litany of things we've forgotten. In seconds, I've knocked back a few Dylithium crystals and am preparing to cross the universe via an intricate network of wormholes so that Leo can be delivered on time to the football training session that started half an hour ago; Beth can be at the other end of the galaxy to listen to a friend charming the locals with her wind band and Deborah can open channels of communication with alien lifeforms by cross-universe screaming.

Having triumphantly negotiated the time/space continuum, thanks to graduating with distinction in module three of the Government's enlightened new training scheme for mothers, "Your child remains government property and must be surrendered upon demand," I am a few miles from home when smoke begins to pour out from underneath the dashboard.

We're passing a government building at the time. Because of the bomb fun of the last few days, police are everywhere, checking cars and noting numberplates. Mindful of Vicky's recent car-burning exploits, I pull in, wondering if the car has Al-Quaeda sympathies. Either that, or it resents the new ban on smoking and has taken to consuming 40 a day in public places just to get its point across.

I get out and am completely ignored. I call Francis who arrives, opens the bonnet, checks the wiring and re-starts the engine, looking both weary and slightly disbelieving. This is the point when I want the car to belch one more tiny, but conclusive blob of smoke from under the dashboard so I can yell, 'Exhibit A'. Nothing happens. Fortunately, the smell of old burning remains.

"Hmmm," says Francis. "It's got a plastic aroma, with undertones of rubber." He sounds like a wine taster. "I think it's simply something that got caught on the manifold."

He sounds so authoritative that that some weak, feeble heroine of yesteryear, all I can do is simper up at him like a girlie weed.

Vicky replies to an earlier text.

"Is ure car ablaze? Honestly, that's sooo last wk! And its my job. Get a disaster of your own, u tight bitch."

I show it to Francis and he laughs as he drives us home. It's clear that the whole incident has made him feel a lot better, if only for the fact that I still have no clue exactly what a manifold is.

21 comments:

Motheratlarge said...

I have no idea either, but I'm glad the episode cheered him up. Sounds like he deserves a break. Got my fingers crossed that things work out for you all.

I Beatrice said...

A manifold is a kind of gasket I think.... but what a gasket is precisely (or what it does) - ah, that I cannot tell you!

This is such wonderfully clever stuff though - I savour every word of it but am wordless myself by way of a response!

I managed Proust but not Joyce, by the way...

Omega Mum said...

M@L: He has several second interviews this week, so we're hoping. And hoping

IB: How impressive that the word gasket exists even exists in a car-related context for you. I did a bit of 'Dubliners' and got three quarters of the way through 'Portrait of the Artist' and then, literally, lost the plot. I'm still looking.

The Good Woman said...

Terrific post Omega Mum. Good to start the week with a chuckle. Promise to sport an ever bigger smile when Francis lands a plum job.

debio said...

I know what a gasket and a manifold is but keep this knowledge to myself in all and every situation - there are times when one can be just too clever!

Brilliant blog, omega mum. So please Francis has still retained his SOH (I do so love the personal ads!).

Good Luck with the job opportunities - let's hope this is your week. Fingers crossed.

Stay at home dad said...

I have no idea what a manifold is. I doubt Proust did either. Not so important when you're creating an epic meditation on memory, loss, change... or if you drive a Prius.

I have always assumed you were a miracle of erotic desire, OM.

Omega Mum said...

Debio: Very, very clever. I expected nothing less.

SAHD: Well, obviously I am a miracle of erotic desire, except that the emphasis is, sadly, on the miracle aspect.

Suffolkmum said...

You do write brilliantly. Loved this.

Omega Mum said...

Thanks, Suffolk Mum. So glad you dropped in and enjoyed it.

Catherine said...

I thought he might be making it up in a man-like way, but obviously there is such a thing as a manifold. I never knew I needed to know that.

Omega Mum said...

Marianne: There really is. You'd think there'd be a womanifold, too, wouldn't you - but no....

@themill said...

Lovely blog - fingers crossed on the job front.

Anonymous said...

V funny - especially moving the kids about. I found magic spells a solution, yours isd a twentieth century version.

A manifold is a a man who folds up easily for convenient storage hence the name.

A gasket is what gas wears to play sport...

Omega Mum said...

Mutley: I still think your parallel world is more fun, but with the addition to mine of a few folding men at bedtime, I aim to catch up soon.

Anonymous said...

Francis sounds like a kind and useful hubby... the perfect companion to your brilliance. Re the reading list: I prefer Tolstoy, he sends me to dreamland where I dream articulately in Russian. Well, I think I do. M doesn't understand a thing but says it sounds good.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a pile of men to fold.

Omega Mum said...

Being bi-lingual - even in dreamworld - sounds good. Happy folding. Elbows only bend one way, incidentally.

Amy @ Taste Like Crazy said...

Yet more proof that car repair is a wonderfully effective tonic for men when they're feeling down.
Wonderful blog.

http://TastesLikeCrazy.blogspot.com

Motheratlarge said...

Dear Omega Mum, thinking of you all with the second interviews you mention are happening this week. Heart thumping nervously for you.

Omega Mum said...

Tastes Like Crazy: Glad you enjoyed it.

M@L: Mine, too. Fingers crossed.....(again) but, there again, I'd have to change the blog title if he got one.

Anonymous said...

Greetings Zoggian.

So glad you got back safely from your interplanetary shennanigans.

I'm sure that a job will happen along when you least expect it, hope it happens for Francis soon. ( I was made redundant 2 years ago and aged 54 I didn't think I had very good prospects but to be honest now I have never been better off ).

Just remember the really important thing, " You can't keep a good man down ". Well, not if you take your foot off his head anyway.

Kev

Omega Mum said...

Thanks so much for cheering comment, Kev. In fact, Zog isn't such a bad place, though the atmosphere - which is so thick you could cut it with a knife - takes some getting used to.