Sunday 15 July 2007

A rush of desire

I'm scrubbing the vinyl floor in the kitchen. It's a place where ingrained dirt and faded pattern fight for supremacy and it's impossible to tell who's winning. This morning there's the added fun element of mysterious patches of water which appear like joke shop mirages all over the floor.

It's no good. I can't stand it any more. Buoyed by the thought of money - even less money - coming in again, I start sneakily scouring the Home and Garden section of Ebay, my consumer bible, 'The defaulter's guide to loan sharks,' on my lap.

Within seconds, I'm doing a Burglar Bill on the merchandise on offer. My head starts to spin with the sheer over abundance of it all. My desire is sharper than a knife. I experience a rush of blood to the head and saliva to the mouth.

Everything, it seems, can be built in. Washing machines, dish washers. Presumably somebody's come up with handy little nooks and crannies where you can pop the children, pets and husband on convenient, load-bearing hooks.

Soon the descriptions blur in my head. Freestanding Victorian dresser with in-line descaler? I'll have that. Self-sharpening knife drawer with lime-washed spare tyre? Oh, go on then. Butler's sink with pivoting, slightly waxed previous owner? It would be rude not to.

I show my list to Francis, with not a little pride. He studies it. "Well, you've certainly been thorough," he says. I beam with pride. "Now, all we've got to work on is the cost and the kitchen dimensions."

I wait, expectantly.

"To fit this lot in," he explains, patiently, "would need a kitchen 100 feet square and cost a fraction under £86,000."

19 comments:

Admin said...

Your posts are hilarious. Like you, I'm prone to "out of money" experiences and consider it a good month if the mortgage payment (for the previous month) is paid promptly. However, I think you're shooting low here. Why not consider moving house completely? Even if you can't pay for it, once you're in, it's very hard for the loan sharks to get you out, at least here in the USA. By the time they got the eviction notice, you might have some money, who knows? Now I know where to come if I need a chuckle. Make that guffaw.
Shine On,
Lill

Omega Mum said...

Hi, Lill - really glad you liked it and thanks for the financial advice......Just studying the property ads now.

Anonymous said...

Familiar pattern chez orchidea but in role reversal. ~sigh~ It's nice to dream though, isn't it? Our kitchen floor is tiled and will last forever, more's the pity.

Omega Mum said...

Orchidea: Swap you for some dirty vinyl? Stop it - not that sort of dirty. Goodness.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Hello...just seeing if I can post a comment on here ...it won't usually let me! Trouble is with me ..the month is longer than the money...and we are going on holiday next week....panic is setting in and no I am not calm ...just perfected the way of sounding it!!

Omega Mum said...

Snailbeach: Sorry you're having problems with comments. It's worked fine this time, though....Hope all difficulties are sorted out and doubly well done on sounding so calm.

Gwen said...

Here's a somewhat crazy thought. Why not send out e mails in the manner of Megadik offering the chance to learn the tricks of the kitchen assembly trade for the knock down price of £1,000.00. You pocket the fee and have some poor unsuspecting individual build you a kitchen and pay for the units himself as you train him in the art of kitchen assembly. Is this just a bit too weird? You may be able to tell that I am no Richard Branson.

The Good Woman said...

Just think how delighted he'll be when you present the plan for the 50 square foot, £43000 kitchen!

Alda said...

I lost my eBay virginity about a month ago and I hardly dare venture in there again for fear I'll lose all control. So much to buy - so little time! [or money, for that matter ...]

Omega Mum said...

the good woman: Cracking idea. I should have thought of that.

Alda: It's a terrible place for the financially footloose.

Maude Lynn said...

This had me laughing out loud! Seriously, my husband made me read the post to him because he wanted to know what was so funny!

Omega Mum said...

mama zen: that's the ultimate compliment. Thanks - and for coming by.

Anonymous said...

God no, you wouldn't want that kind of dirty - the grouting's really grotty. ;)

debio said...

You have made me quite nostalgic for both eBay and internet shopping generally - some sites won't deliver here and, even if they do, import duty and delivery just takes all the fun out of it!

Great blog, omega mum, as usual.

Catherine said...

Apparently, you're supposed to visualise money flying towards you - not the other way OM. Cosmic Ordering or something. Personally, I'd just settle for this month's maintenance - where the hell is it?

Motheratlarge said...

Have you seen the ads for themed kitchens? Wine-lovers get £10k's worth of chiller cabinet. Friends of the Earth have built-in recycling unit. And so on. Well, given that you are a blogger par excellence, I think your new kitchen should be blog-themed. It could have a special fold-away shelf for your lap-top, with integrated wireless network and special pinger on the cooker to alert you to incoming RSS feeds.

Omega Mum said...

Debio: How incredibly frustrating. I didn't buy anything, if it makes you feel better.

Orchidea: Grotty grouting - I see what you mean....

Marianne: I'll keep trying but somehow haven't got the knack. Good luck with your inward bound money wishes in the meantime

M@L: Love it. Wish I could....

a happier girl said...

Sometimes shopping is half the fun.

Omega Mum said...

A happier girl: It's wonderful. Even fantasy shopping has its moments. Thanks for dropping in.